I have compiled the responses to give you a Top Ten Tips for Beginner Bloggers.
- Promote and claim your blog through Technorati. The more you are mentioned in other blogs, the higher your Authority.
- Bookmark you blog/entries to sites such as digg, del.icio.us, stumble, facebook etc
- Include an RSS feed (i use Feedburner to publish my feed (it's free))
- Check for keywords related to your blog topics. Use them in articles and titles of posts
- Post comments on related blogs with links back to your blog
- Partial quote other relevant blogs and add content of value
- Make use of Feedburner PRO services. They are now free and can optimise, publicise and monetise your blog
- Ensure you have something worth reading
- Update regularly
- Ping your blog
And, as an added extra, for loads of information on blogging visit Problogger
I wish i'd known all of this when i first started my blog. Many many thanks to the LinkedIn members who responded to my original question