Coronation Street is currently running a storyline on alcoholism in a work environment.
Peter Barlow who has a history of alcohol problems opens a new wine bar (not the best idea in the world) and once again he begins drinking.
Being drunk will eventually create:
- loss of productivity and poor performance;
- lateness and absenteeism;
- safety concerns;
- team morale and employee relations problems;
- bad behaviour or poor discipline;
- adverse effects on company image and customer relations.
And, as Peter is the owner/manager untold problems will unfurl - which is exactly what the writers for Coronation Street want!
However, for a more serious point of view Nick Poole of Latimer Hinks explains what to look out for and how to deal with these problems from a legal perspective - Alcoholism in the Workplace
There is even a blog dedicated to this subject Raise the Bottom.
HSE produce a leaflet Don't Mix It - A Guide for Employers on Alcohol at Work
Alcoholism is a serious problem, please take relevant advice from professional advisers